Operating outside your comfort zone is oftentimes the first step in achieving the goals you’ve set for yourself. I know what you’re thinking and trust me, I get it. Your comfort zone is comfortable, and stepping outside of it…well…isn’t.
As humans, it’s in our nature to do the things similarly, day after day. This is partly due to the fact that we are creatures of habit and have routines. But another part is knowing what to expect gives us a level of comfort. There’s great safety in knowing what is to come. However, there isn’t much growth with sameness—and this is the reason we have to nudge ourselves outside our comfort zone, at least once in a while, to gain perspective and grow.
Here are nine ideas you can implement today to help you take those first scary steps outside of your comfort zone and closer to the life of your dreams:
1. Change up your routine. If you always wake up and check work email, wake up and take a walk instead. Sit on the porch with coffee and read a book instead of reading online news at the kitchen table. Get your workout in immediately after work instead of coming home first. Doing something different with your routine, or doing it in a different order will help you feel more comfortable engaging outside your comfort zone.
2. Try a new physical activity or hobby. There’s a link between brain connection and physical activity…just by physically trying new things, you’re telling your brain you can do anything you set your mind to. Enroll in dance lessons, learn to paint, play an instrument, learn to swim, climb a mountain—these and similar activities will get those neurons firing in your brain.
3. Set one big goal…with lots of mini-goals along the way. For instance, if your goal is to run a full marathon this year, sign-up for several 5K and 10K races in the months leading up to your marathon. It helps to set incremental milestones that will get you motivated, and also prove to you that progress is possible, takes time, and isn’t instant but a journey in the right direction!
4. Find a mentor who’s doing what you want to do or is where you want to be. Connecting with someone who has overcome obstacles and accomplished what you dream of doing can open new doors of possibilities. This is one of the big reasons I started coaching—so I can support others with what I’ve learned along my journey from mediocrity to magnificence!
5. Become a mentor. Everyone has skills to offer. Becoming a mentor to someone else can be incredibly satisfying…and a way to broaden your horizons. It’s incredible the insights that come to mind when you’re sharing your knowledge and what you’ve experienced.
6. Surround yourself with people who are dreamers and doers. You might have heard the saying “You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.” Hanging out with people who are taking massive strides to meet or exceed their goals will give you the push you need to try new things. Consider joining an association or networking group filled with successful women (or men) who will hold you accountable and encourage you to keep going when you feel like giving up. I am here to do that for you as well and to keep you focused on your reaching your inner brilliance.
7. Make friends with people outside your regular group. We tend to spend most of our time with like-minded people, so hanging out with someone outside your regular circle will offer great insight and bring new ideas and perspectives to light.
8. Climb a mountain. Climbing a literal mountain can mentally make you feel like you can do anything. Conquering a physical mountain or any size, for many, is the equivalent of conquering a mental mountain—it could very well give you the confidence that you can do anything you want to do.
9. Watch less than one hour of TV per day. Wasting time on TV or social media is an easy way to pass time; it gives people a sense of comfort and therefore keeps you…you guessed it…in your comfort zone. TV and social media provide an escape, without actually escaping. They’re more like a distraction from what’s really important. Instead, find a project, book or new hobby to tackle.
Implementing just a few of these ideas will get you started with living outside your comfort zone and tackling your goals…starting today! You CAN go out and start changing your life TODAY! The more new things you try, the more confidence you will gain.
Schedule your 30-Minute Talk With Teri…Completely Free!
I know what it takes to get out of your comfort zone and take strides towards reaching your goals. In our 30-minutes together, we’ll zero in on what might be holding you back and I’ll give you tools to reset your default so that you know everything you want is within reach. Schedule your free Talk With Teri now!