The universe doesn’t give you what you ask for with your thoughts; it gives you what you demand with your actions.
Years ago, a study at Harvard University identified a striking difference between those who achieve success and those who don’t: clearly defined goals. Those who had outlined specific targets—and had written them down—were more likely, by a long haul, to achieve success.
And that is the difference between a dream and a goal. Dreams are lovely, and they race around your mind and your imagination soars and…
…they rarely become reality.
Goals, however, are every bit as lovely as dreams. But they break free from the confines of your mind and imagination and find themselves in writing. And as simple as this is, it’s an important distinction. Once your dream has been written down, it becomes a goal that you can take inspired action towards achieving.
Some people already have clearly defined dreams, which makes them easily translated into writing. However, for those of you who are a bit more unclear about what you want out of life, it’s important to explore and identify those things which bring you joy. Sift through the many areas of life and love that bring you the most gratifications until you find tangible a goal that fills you with excitement and anticipation! Then write it down, turn your dream into a goal, and get ready to take inspired action.
Here are 5 Steps to Success and Taking Inspired Action
1. Write down your goal. This simple act of permanence is a major first step in achieving success. Make sure your goal is posted somewhere visible—on your bathroom mirror, your refrigerator, your mousepad… you want to stay constantly reminded and hyper-focused on the light at the end of your tunnel.
2. Create a vision board. Imagine you have already succeeded in reaching your goal. What does it look like? How does it feel? Using magazines, newspapers, print-outs, etc., find the words and images that align with whatever your vision of success is. Create a collage—your vision board—and post it somewhere where you will see it every day. Don’t be afraid to get creative and think BIG!
3. Hold yourself accountable. Or, better yet, join forces with a member of your rock star support team who will hold you accountable. It’s always smart to have someone supportive nearby to remind you what you’re working so hard for and to encourage you along the way.
4. Make conscious choices. Forget about acting out of obligation, or thinking about what you should be doing. Do it! Make mindful choices that lead you towards your goals and get ready to feel excited and empowered!
5. Reward yourself. When you follow through with an action item that brings you closer to reaching your goals—whether it be big or small—treat yourself and celebrate you with a delicious treat, some stress-free family time, a fun project, a long hike. You deserve it!
It’s all too common for people to dream big and never take action. The universe doesn’t just hand you whatever you’re dreaming about… you have to go out and get it! Follow these steps to start reaching your own goals, whatever they may be, or check out my book, Be the Magic of You: Tools to Transform Your Life for an EFT exercise designed to help you spring into action and go out and grab the life you’ve been dreaming about.
Talking with Teri’s Famous Daily Intentions Planner
In the past, I was great at scattering my attention and focus around too much. My high energy is a gift, but sometimes a curse when it comes to taking inspired action towards reaching my specific goals. To help me stay focused, I developed a Daily Intentions Planner. It started as a tool that I just used for myself, and then my friends and colleagues asked me to make them one, and then their friends and colleges started asking for them… and so on until I finally decide to make them available to the world.
The Daily Intentions Planner is a guided journal designed to help you write down your long-term goals, set short-term goals to help you reach long-term goals, and track progress and gratitude along the way. Buy yours today! It’s a tool you’ll be glad to have as you endeavor to the life of your dreams!