When you start your day on the right foot, it sets positivity in motion for the entire 24-hours that follow. Beginning your day with happiness makes it easy to continue with positivity until the sun goes down. But mornings aren’t always known for being an especially calm and joyous time of day. Being abruptly awakened by the buzz of an alarm clock and forced from the warmth and comfort of your bed—never mind the hectic, frantic rush to make coffee, wake up the kids, get showered and ready for work, and out the door in time to sit in traffic all the way to the office—well, mornings are sometimes the crux of the whole day.
You can set a better tone for your day by following the advice below—especially if you’re prone to negative self-talk, anxiety, or bad sleep, these tips can make a major difference in the quality of your day.
Here are 5 tips to make sure your day begins on a high note. Just remember, it’s up to YOU to start with good vibes and continue with them the rest of the day!
1. Get your morning ready the night before. Lay out your clothes, set up the coffee, and get a healthy lunch ready so you don’t have to rush to get everything done in the morning and if something unexpected happens, you’ll have more time to manage it. When mornings start as a hectic scramble, it sets a stressful mood for the rest of the day. By preparing the night before, you’re eliminating a few small stressors that have the power to make a huge difference.
2. Nail your bedtime routine so you sleep better. No one denies that getting a good night’s sleep is critical to having a great day. However, with modern technology we’re often distracted before we get into bed, spending hours on our phones or iPads. Rather than lying in bed, “relaxing,” scrolling through social media accounts or reading news articles, try this routine: two hours before bed, start turning down the lights in your house and silence your phone, take some time to write in your gratitude journal or Daily Intentions Planner. Studies show this type of routine can calm your nervous system and prepare you for a peaceful night of sleep which means a better morning is on the horizon.
3. Don’t look at your phone when you first wake up. Instead, wake up, pour your morning coffee, and sit outside or by a window and enjoy the peaceful morning for a little bit before you look at your phone to see all those work texts and emails. This is your time. Once you glance at your phone, you’ll inevitably succumb to all those notifications, demands and social media updates. Give yourself some time to establish peace and serenity before you expose yourself to the over-stimulation of communication that your phone will surely deliver.
4. Practice gratitude before getting out of bed. Before your feet hit the floor, close your eyes and think about one thing you’re grateful for. Let that wonderful feeling of gratitude circulate through your entire body. You’ll feel happiness and a sense of calm! This is a small practice that can have a lasting impact on the rest of your day.
5. Do something you love first thing in the morning. This can be something small—stretching, listening to music, meditating, yoga, or just getting a cup of coffee or tea and sitting for a moment on your porch. Don’t watch the news or read articles about crime and destruction as it will leave you feeling overwhelmed and disheartened. Instead, watch or read something inspirational, like my Dear Amazing video. By enjoying your first activity of the morning, you set your day off with something pleasurable, and that joy will carry over to the rest of your day!
After implementing these tips, you should begin to see a major shift in your day-to-day life: more good days, less stress, and a better outlook on life in general. However, if you still feel “stuck” in your daily routine—like you can’t make forward progress—something bigger might be going on inside. Maybe you’re struggling with limiting beliefs, or can’t quiet your inner critic. If this describes you, take a moment to schedule a FREE 30-Minute Talk with Teri and start getting to the root of your “stuckness.”
Schedule Your FREE 30-Minute Talk with Teri!
Click the button below and pick a date and time to discuss whatever you’re struggling with, and take the first steps towards changing your life and living extraordinarily!