We’ve all heard the old adage, “the early bird catches the worm.” But the siren-like lure of the snooze button is just so hard to ignore. 10 more minutes, 10 more minutes. You hit snooze a few times and the next thing you know, it’s all-out morning mayhem—you barely have enough time to brush your teeth, never mind read a leisurely article in your favorite magazine while sipping on a freshly-brewed cup of dark roast.
I’ve seen it a million times. In fact, I’ve done it a million times.
But once I recognized the value of those early morning hours, I quickly changed my tune. Studies have shown that our willpower is strongest in the morning—it gets muddled by exhaustion and other priorities as the day goes on.
Capitalize on sunrise and implement these 10 morning habits to improve your productivity and set yourself up for a successful day:
1. Wake up an hour earlier than usual. Have you ever exasperatedly said, “if only there were more hours in a day…?” Well, there are. You’ve been sleeping through them. Get into the habit of waking up just one hour earlier and not only will you naturally become more optimistic and conscientious, but you’ll also be better able to foresee and minimize future challenges. What a win-win!
2. Visualize your day. In those wee hours of the morning, take time to run through your day. See yourself reaching your goals and accomplishing your to-do list, making note of anything you may need to keep calm or be more efficient. What better way to set yourself up for success?
3. Don’t. Skip. Breakfast. Eating a healthy breakfast will help you maintain an even-keeled and steady focus as you move through the rest of your day.
4. Reprioritize. You know that one thing that you’re totally dreading? Well, move it to the top of your list, get it over with first, and enjoy the rest of your day. The rest of your to-do list will feel trivial after you clear your plate (and mind) of that one, big, looming task.
5. Find your mantra. What inspires you? Find one quote or create one, write it down, sit still, close your eyes, breathe, and repeat it to yourself every morning. You might write it on post-its and place them strategically around the house where you will see them first thing in the morning – bathroom mirror, by the coffee maker, on your nightstand – to be reminded of your mantra routine. This practice will help you feel more motivated and focused than ever before. Not much of a poet? Try one of these mantras on for size:
Today I feel energized and invigorated by life.
Today I will have faith and accept what is.
Things are always working out in my favor.
I usually take this time to practice an EFT exercise to support whatever mantra I choose on a given day. My book, Be the Magic of You: Tools to Transform Your Life is filled with EFT exercises to help you break through mental barriers and achieve success at any stage of your journey.
6. Exercise! Getting your fitness fix in during the morning hours will give you a boost of energy for the day and get your senses up and running. It’s easy to come up with excuses to not exercise at the end of the day, so working out in the morning can keep you on track to reach your health goals… and your life goals!
7. Snack throughout the day. Keep your metabolism and brain going strong all day by making sure you eat regular healthy snacks. Fruit, veggies, protein bars, yogurt, nuts… throw a few snacks in your purse so you have them ready when a craving strikes.
8. Get rid of clutter. Physically removing clutter from your life can also uncluttered the mind. Receipts, scraps of paper, old magazines, spam emails, useless smartphone apps…free your physical and mental space of messes.
9. Get to bed early. Okay, so this isn’t necessarily a morning habit, but it will help you make the most of your mornings and do a better job of ignoring the beck and call of the snooze button. To help with this, consider starting your bedtime routine one hour earlier.
10. Enjoy the silence of the morning. When you wake up early, you’ll find the world hums to a different tune. Take a moment to soak up the silence, or tune into the sound of birds chirping, wind blowing, leaves rustling…just breathe and be alone with your thoughts, because once the day gets going, you won’t likely have another opportunity to do so.
Becoming a morning person could very well help you better set yourself up for success. Go ahead—set that alarm for an hour earlier than usual and start getting into the habit of rising with the sun and setting yourself up for success.
Talk with Teri
If you’re serious about changing your life, and are looking for guidance to help you get out of your own way and take strides towards living the life of your dreams, contact me today. I’m happy to offer a free 30-Minute Transformation Session to help you start your journey of personal transformation. Just complete the brief form below and I’ll be in touch to schedule our session.